Thursday, March 12, 2009

Why do women lie about their age?

.

Oh no it finally happened… All of a sudden in the past couple months I have found myself starting to lie about my age. I mean I’m not sure if it’s intentional but it’s definitely not honest.
For example, a couple weeks ago I was out with someone I met at a networking event brainstorming and he very politely asked how old I was and of course I was a little taken back. Really sir? Asking a woman her age, shame on you! Didn’t your grandmother teach you anything? So, I kindly replied with “27.” It just popped out I swear, very confidentially however with hesitation, not because I was lying about my age but because why would he ask? “I’m 27.” Then suddenly I realized – Wait a minute, that doesn’t sound right. Aren’t I 28… and soon to be 28 ½ on May 19th? And I didn’t believe myself so I started to do the math in my head because I couldn’t fathom that I was 28 years old already! AHH!! I could no longer concentrate on the task at hand and I couldn’t help but wonder…. When in the world did I turn 28 years old, I’m almost 30! When my mom was 28 she had 2 kids and was married. I’m living solo in NYC and lying to people about my age!! Who am I? On my next birthday am I going to be receiving those cards that say “well you’re not looking any younger” that I always make fun of? Perhaps I need to make an appointment for Botox! Do I need a face lift? Help!!

Then a week later it happened again!! I was in a meeting at work and suddenly taken off guard. For those of you that don’t know, I work in an extremely corporate atmosphere so you can imagine how uncomfortable I felt and how bright red my face turned when I was speaking and someone suddenly took me aside and said, “Julie, how old are you… really?” And I replied with a simple answer, “A woman never reveals her age.” Isn’t that rude to ask? When did it become ok to ask a person’s age? Especially at work! Are you going to start judging me when you do know my age? Here’s the thing, if I was going to tell you my age then the questions would start to trickle in……“So why aren’t you married yet?” “You’re getting old, might want to think about children soon!” “What do you want to do with your life?” Ahh!

Then I started to wonder, why did I start lying about my age? Some may say it’s the simple fact that in our society we value the youthful women and it’s embarrassing to grow old. Others may say we don’t want to admit we are getting old, but I say.... it’s no one else’s business!

So to put a stop to the madness, I have learned never to reveal my age. So what… I may be 21 on blogger, 26 on myspace, 24 on Twitter, 25 on Facebook, and on every birthday I miraculously turn 21 or 24 again (depending on the mood)…. But who cares. Age is just a number, right?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! Very funny! You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. I lie about my age but I tell people I'm older because when they learn that I have a family, they make me feel as if I am 15 years old! LOL! P.S. It does just slip out!! LOL! I told someone I was 26!! NOT ON PURPOSE!! LOL! I quickly said, NO! 27!

Julie said...

Ha! Then you'll enjoy this story - Susie called me from shopping w/her mom because someone at the store didn't believe she was old enough to have a kid!!! She loved herself - as would I!! :) But it's so true... people are so quick to judge!

Unknown said...

Yes, she thought I was 20. I should have just let it stay that way. I turn 24 most birthdays, tho since this year marks my 30th, I'll celebrate the milestone and then work my way backwards! :)