Thursday, March 26, 2009

Since when did I become a grown-up?

The dictionary describes a “grown-up” as having reached the age of maturity. When I think of a “grown-up” I immediately think of my three very close friends that I speak to everyday who are all married and either have kids or are expecting soon, but never before did I put myself in that “grown up” category until now.

So when did this happen? Did it happen so effortlessly that I didn’t even realize it? Was it when I moved to NYC and started paying my own rent and bills? Or was it when I started calling the doctors to make my own appointments? Or perhaps it might have been when I was no longer able to sleep in past 10am? Or wait a minute... It’s now! Well friends, the time has finally come, the biggest commitment of my life thus far… No, I am not pregnant, and no I am not getting married…. I am (drum roll please) taking the leap and moving in with the bf of 6 years (yes I did say 6 years, lucky man!) on Saturday.

It’s a really strange feeling… I’m very excited, happy, nervous, anxious and every emotion you can imagine all wrapped up into one! I’m not going to lie – I’ve loved my single girl life living in NYC especially nights when I come home drink wine, watch Gossip Girls and order in. Does that still happen when you live with someone? Or am I now supposed to watch countless hours of Sports Center and forget my vices that I cherish so much? Is it time to compromise and move on with life and celebrate a new beginning – am I finally a grown up?

So in celebration of the occasion at hand I thought it would only be appropriate to list my version of….

You know you are a grown-up when…

10. You were told after you graduated that you are no longer covered under your parent's insurance plan and that you need to get your own... what does that mean, doctors aren't free? I am so confused.

9. When you realize that the plastic drawers aren’t going to cut it anymore and you might have to invest in a real bedroom set and start wanting things to match! I never used to care! What happened! They still work…

8. When you come home from work and there isn’t anyone making you dinner and you suddenly start to realize that lean cuisine is considered gourmet food to you now.

7. When instead of catching all of the reality shows you’d much rather watch 60 Minutes and the news to catch up on current affairs. Seriously, I remember my mom doing that and I’d always BEG to change the channel!

6. When you finally realize you have to start paying back your freaking student loans! Enough said. Moving on…

5. When you open the mailbox because you are so excited to get your new US Weekly and all you can find are bills and suddenly notice that they are all addressed to you. So now instead of buying that new jacket you have been gushing over in the French Connection windows (that would btw look great on Friday night) you have to pay the dentist for a cavity filling! What!!!!! How is that fair?

4. When you get excited that you got a Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas and love using it every chance you get! (Thanks Mom!)

3. When you wake up after a night out and realize that doing it all over again is NOT an option. (HA! Thanks Kristan!)

2. When you get terrible hangovers after a night out. Back in college of course I got the occasional hangover, but nothing compared to now. If I have more than 2 glasses of wine I feel queasy the next day, what happened to me!!! Damn you tolerance!

1. When you realize that all of your high school/college friends are one or more of the following… engaged, married, have children or dare I say it…..have a mortgage.

So what do you guys think? When did you know you were a grown-up? Are you there yet?

4 comments:

Marissa said...

I LOVE this post! I am with you on EVERY SINGLE ONE of your points! Oh man...it's official. I, too, am a grown-up! YIKES! If I couldn't still watch Gossip Girl I would never have lasted a year living with my bf. Even if he won't watch it with you, TiVo it and watch it when he's not home. :) That's what I do.

Unknown said...

Married with two kids and NOT a grown up over here :)! As a child I promised myself to never grow up and be a toys r us kid forever ;)! P.S. Kat is so amazing that he will look forward to delivery and GG any day over ESPN! Him and Luis are twins! They'll catch up with the sports on their PDA's, LOL!

Julie said...

Marissa: Ha! Yes - definitely thank goodness for DVR & TiVO!! I think it really saves relationships and I'm totally NOT kidding!!! :)

Michelle: Growing up I always considered someone being a "grown-up" or an "adult" someone with kids! If you didn't have kids then you weren't one. Lol... So funny what you think growing up as compared to this stage in your life. Oh and YES Luis & Kat seriously might be the same person. Was Luis as into picking out furntiure, where it's going to go and decorating as Kat is? It's ridiculous!!

Thanks for the comments friends ;)

Laura said...

I'm with you on all of these points but not the 60 Minutes thing... I'll take reality TV any day! Haha. I would have to add not being able to eat what you want any more. I miss the days where I could workout hard for a day or two and notice a difference immediately... sad!